Friday, March 28, 2014

Are You Living the Good Life and Don't Even Know It?


While cliché, it is so true that we get "wakeup calls" in life that tend to bring everything back into perspective. The wakeup call by its very nature crops up at the most peculiar times and in the most peculiar places. For me, it was when I found out I had melanoma (a form of skin cancer that can be deadly if undetected), or more recently, a Sunday morning when I was sitting in church learning about the deep needs of Haiti. These wakeup calls summoned me to evaluate my own circumstances and ask, “Am I living the good life?” Upon reflection, I realized that, while I do not have everything I want, I do have everything I need. Learning to live in this realization is where deep contentment occurs. Too often, I hear people say that contentment leads to complacency, but what I have found is the opposite. When I am content, I am most motivated to continue to grow.   

So, how do you know if you are living the good life? First, you must take the time to define for yourself what that actually means. The challenge (and temptation) is to base your definition of “the good life” on what others have or are doing, but that’s not necessarily true and authentic to the way that you have been called to live. Sure, the perception of other people's circumstances will always be out there. But you must define for yourself what your good life looks like. What makes sense for you? 

The process of defining the good life will look different for each person. For the highly structured and organized person, it may involve making a list and add definitions. For the visual person, drawing may help them identify the characteristics of their “good life.” Take some time to express in your own unique way what your good life looks like. Release the pressure of coming up with a definition quickly. If it needs to develop over a period of time, allow that to happen. The point is to be true to yourself through the entire process.

Once you have developed your idea of what it means to live the good life, take some time to think about your current situation. Where is there consistency in what you define as the good life and how you are living now? Where can you identify inconsistencies? As you reflect on these questions, consider that if there is 70 - 80% or more of your good life characteristics present in your life now, then you ARE living the good life. If your definition changes, that’s okay. In fact, it’s normal and healthy.

So, take a moment and look up to see that you are already living the good life. It is not “out there” somewhere, It is right under your nose.

Take this exercise one step further and include your spouse in this process. Remember, your definitions do not have to line up perfectly, but hopefully, there is overlap. 

Feel free to give me a call to talk more at 980-275-1627.

Ed Coambs


Edited by Reena Arora of Arora Media, connect on Facebook
For all your communication needs, she is all you need.


Grow your marriage by getting all the latest blog posts.
* indicates required
 /  ( mm / dd )
Email Format

No comments:

Post a Comment