Thursday, April 17, 2014

Making More Money Isn't the Answer


Who hasn't at times felt overwhelmed by the feeling of needing to make more money? I know I have. Even after years of studying personal finance and putting into place practices to define what’s enough for my family and me, I still get caught up in the day-to-day grind of feeling like everything will be okay if I just made more money.

However, that’s not what  your family needs most from you. Rather than money, they really need your presence and engagement. In our fast-paced culture, it is easy to move quickly and not take the time to reflect on our priorities, so let this be one of those moments when you hit the pause button and really look at what is influencing you. 

Take time to answer the following three questions and include the values that they stand for (i.e. Wealth, Family, Compassion, Hardwork, Balance, etc). For example I love the show Shark Tank, and if that was all I watched then I would think life is all about making deals, more money, and creating businesses.

1.    Where do you work?

2.    To which organizations do you belong?

3.    What type of information (t.v., internet, magazines, and books) do you consume? 

Whether intentionally or unintentionally, we consume daily messages from the outside world through a number of sources about how to live our lives. There is meaning in all communication, as well as an underlying value. When we become highly attuned to the values of the communication that we are receiving, then we can make conscious decisions about what to do with it. 

Recently, I have really enjoyed listening to the business podcast “Entrepreneur on Fire,” but after a while, I realized I moved from enjoying and learning valuable insights about the journey of becoming an entrepreneur to being consumed with thinking about how I could grow my business and (as a natural outcome of that) increase my income. While there is a time and place for learning how to grow your personal finances and business, if left unchecked, other priorities and values will get overshadowed like spending time with family, community events, personal spirituality, etc.  

When you start to feel like making more money is the best use of your time, it is time to stop and evaluate the messages you are taking in.

Feel free to give me a call to talk more at 980-275-1627.

Ed Coambs


Edited by Reena Arora of Arora Media, connect on Facebook
For all your communication needs, she is all you need.


Grow your marriage by getting all the latest blog posts.
* indicates required
 /  ( mm / dd )
Email Format



No comments:

Post a Comment