Tuesday, November 26, 2013

How Automatic Responses Get Us in Trouble


Recently while I was at the YMCA, and I was introduced to a woman by a friend of mine. During the introduction I was told that she has a child that is autistic. In a moment without thought I said "oh nice". To which the woman promptly said “no it isn’t”.  I felt terrible. What would normally be an innocent response, left egg on my face.  This interaction happened because of an automatic response I have when I am introduced to someone that has a child. Much like an auto responder on email, my brain knows that when someone is being introduced to me, and they have a child it is typically polite to say something to the effect of  "Oh nice". However in this case my auto response created an awkward moment.

This same thing happens all the time in our marriage. Our brain works on rules. The rules lead to automatic responses which make everyday situations easier to navigate. In many situations this works great, but there are times when our automatic responses fail us in our marriage, especially in the area of household finances.

When your spouse says we need to…     Your automatic response is…
- Save more                                                 -
- Buy the kids clothes                                -
- Take a vacation                                        -
- Etc.                                                            -  

Each of these statements are vague enough that they could mean any number of different things. So the goal becomes not just to automatically respond, but to ask for more clarification. Otherwise your automatic response may lead to hurt feelings. 

What automatic responses get you in trouble? Please leave a comment.



Please feel free to give me a call to talk more, 980-275-1627.

Regards,
Ed Coambs

Grow your marriage by getting all the latest blog posts.
* indicates required

/ ( mm / dd )
Email Format
Sign

No comments:

Post a Comment