Thursday, November 7, 2013

The thought of being rich


We’ve all heard the promises at some point in our lives. “If you follow these eight steps, six practices, and three principles, then you, too, can become rich!”  While such claims seem reasonable coming from someone with strong financial knowledge, they’re far from perfect.  Now, we can all agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with wanting to create financial security for our families, and many of us have taken risks in an attempt to do just that. What we don’t always consider, however, are the repercussions of those risks on our emotions and our relationships.

I challenge you to step back from the pursuit of financial wealth and consider an alternative meaning to the word “rich.” Could it include having vibrant relationships with your family, growing closer to God, contributing in significant ways to your community, or a number of other things? When we too narrowly define the definition of financial security, we often end up feeling overwhelmed and depressed because we have not reached some pre-determined number that doesn’t, in fact, accurately represent our true wealth.

The bottom line is this: Your wealth is measured by more than just your net worth, and when you recognize that you have value beyond what is in your bank account or what you make every month, you can start to recognize that you are a person of great worth. This is the promise that I am learning to accept and embrace. Like anything worth having, it’s a daily journey with many setbacks. But what I have come to realize is that, when I recognize the value of what I have before me in personal relationships, my relationship with God, and my contributions to society, I become far less anxious and concerned about creating financial riches.  To me, this is contentment.

What does it mean to be rich in your life? Please leave a comment; I’d love to hear your thoughts.


Want advice on starting your own action plan? Give me a call at 980-275-1627.

Talk to you soon,
Ed Coambs

Edited by Reena Arora of Arora Media, connect on Facebook
For all your communication needs, she is all you need.

Grow your marriage by getting all the latest blog posts.
* indicates required

/ ( mm / dd )
Email Format
Sign
http://marriageandmoneymatters.blogspot.com/2013/12/its-more-than-talking-about-money-it-is.html

No comments:

Post a Comment