Thursday, January 9, 2014

It Starts with Me


One of the deepest questions we tend to ask ourselves is, “Am I acceptable?” How we go about finding the answer varies widely.

When it comes to knowing if we are making the right decisions in our marriage and with money, there is a proliferation of books, articles and thought leaders all willing to divulge the “right way” to do it (I am one of them). Yet, when you spend too much time consulting these sources, it doesn’t take long to feel completely overwhelmed by the various views and approaches they offer. When we only look outside ourselves for the answer to whether we’re acceptable, then we are relying on external validation to give our lives meaning. 

We all do it. That’s because external validation allows us to compare and contrast the life that we are living to the lives of others. Let's face it - no matter how hard we try not to think about the Joneses, at some point, we inevitably examine how our life stacks up to other people's, as this gives us opportunities to see where we can grow. Yet the challenge that this creates is that we can be left feeling inadequate and unacceptable if external validation is our only source of self-worth.

Let me share an example to make my point. I have read countless books on the topic of personal finance. I love the subject, yet the more I read, the more I have come to realize that I cannot possibly embrace all of the different views of "financial success." Why? When I think about the myriad of advice and offerings about money,  I see a continuum of belief about what financial success looks like. Some people see it as having the most money, while others say it’s living a simple life without material things. So, given the spectrum of opinions, what am I to do if I want to live a financially successful life? 

It starts with me. Instead of confusing myself even more by trying to process everyone else’s opinion, I will use internal validation to decide what financial success looks like for me. Internal validation starts with saying that I am acceptable no matter where I am in my life. It acknowledges that I have the potential for growth and change, all the while maintaining my acceptability. Internal validation is what we use to help measure which sources of external validation we want to integrate into our life and which sources we want to leave out. It says I have the ability to make my own decisions about what is right for my life, and I don't have to become what others tell me to become.  When we develop a strong sense of internal validation then we can answer the question, “Am I acceptable?” with a resounding, “YES!” 

Feel free to give me a call to talk more at 980-275-1627.

Ed Coambs


Edited by Reena Arora of Arora Media, connect on Facebook
For all your communication needs, she is all you need.


Grow your marriage by getting all the latest blog posts.
* indicates required

/ ( mm / dd )
Email Format
Sign

No comments:

Post a Comment