Tuesday, December 24, 2013

You are to Grow


Despite the chaos of life, I have found that setting aside time every morning for devotions has a great calming and centering effect on my day. Recently I came across a piece of scripture that so moved and encouraged me, I felt compelled to share it. I know not all of my readers are Christians, but I think that there is a powerful message for all of us – regardless of religious affiliation – in the words of 2 Peter 1:5-9 (I’m calling the passage “You are to Grow”). Take a moment to read it and contemplate how it could apply to your life.


You are to Grow

2 Peter 1:5-9

For this very reason, make every effort to
Add to your faith, goodness
And to goodness, knowledge
And to knowledge, self control
And to self control, perseverance
And to perseverance, godliness
And to godliness, brotherly kindness
And to brotherly kindness, love.
For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure,
They will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive,
In your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
But if anyone does not have them,
He is nearsighted and blind,
And has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.



As I read this short scripture, I was taken aback by the guidance I received from it. It struck me that, as I add goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love to my faith, I will put myself in a better position to be more effective and productive in my knowledge of God. This passage provided clear order to specific aspects of life that I can focus on to increase my certainty when it comes to my calling and destiny. To me, Peter is communicating that I am not expected to have each of these attributes perfectly dialed in, but over time, I should focus on growth in all of these areas. As a Christian, having a stronger grasp on these qualities will allow me to walk more closely with my Lord and Savior. 

Thank you for the opportunity to share something more personal with you today. I hope that this piece of scripture will increase your faith and affirm that you do not have to have everything together; instead, if you focus on the aforementioned attributes, you will feel yourself walking more confidently in your faith.

Feel free to give me a call to talk more at 980-275-1627.

Ed Coambs


Edited by Reena Arora of Arora Media, connect on Facebook
For all your communication needs, she is all you need.


Grow your marriage by getting all the latest blog posts.
* indicates required

/ ( mm / dd )
Email Format
Sign

No comments:

Post a Comment